Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Warm Soup for a Cold Evening

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5


Irish Potato and Leek Soup with Thinly sliced Pork Chops in Strongbow Gravy.

I know potatoes are in the nether-regions of the paleo world, but it's chilly here in NE Florida, and there is something special about home made slow-cooked soup to warm your bones. The aroma of leeks cooking down in butter and mirepoix filled my house with happiness and anticipation. The addition of home cooked chicken stock added that little feeling of a hug you get from grandma, and the anticipation is worth the work. I took my time with this, and I can't be happier with the results. I was lucky enough to find 3 BIG leeks and organic potatoes. I didn't plan on making this soup until I had the ingredients in my cart. I can say, this was one of the best things I have ever cooked. It was the perfect day for a slow cooked, hearty bowl of comfort food, some drunken pork loin, and some cider for Team MamaDada.

2 comments:

  1. Potatoes are definitely the mistreated step-child of the paleo community, but there are just those times when you have to break out and satiate a craving. Can't blame you for this one; hot potato and leek soup for an especially cold wintery day sounds like a great way to keep your morale up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has cordain actually come out and said specifically "do not eat potatoes?" I don't see how a dang parsnip is any better as a starch. The focus should be on preparation and origin, rather than the whole potatoes spike your insulin more than ice cream. You don't eat ice cream with gravy and protein. It's not really a cogent argument. I fell into that trap as well, but I am proud of this soup.

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What YOU Think.